Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Report #3 on The Springtime of Vatican II

Link to Original

From the Washington Post

The Associated Press
Sunday, November 6, 2005; 7:23 PM

BOSTON -- The Archdiocese of Boston is expected to make more than $90 million through the sale of church property as part of a plan to deal with financial struggles blamed in part on the clergy sex abuse crisis, according to a published report.

Most of the revenue comes from the liquidation of churches that have been merged or closed under Archbishop Sean O'Malley's reconfiguration plan.

Those proceeds, outlined in The Boston Sunday Globe, are on top of the $99 million sale of the cardinal's residence and surrounding property in Boston's Brighton neighborhood last year.

The Globe review found that since August 2003, the archdiocese had received more than $32 million in sales of property from 15 parishes closed last year. Eight other purchase and sale agreements worth $29 million are pending, according to Terrence Donilon, a spokesman for the archdiocese. The sale of unused land and abandoned buildings have netted an additional $30 million.

O'Malley said last month that the archdiocese was showing some signs of emerging from the financial slump that followed the sex abuse scandal.

He said contributions to the church's annual fundraising drive were up to $12 million this year after dipping to $8 million after the scandal. The scandal started in Boston about five years ago with revelations about a predatory priest who had been sent to another parish after complaints surfaced. The scandal has since spread to diocese across the nation.

© 2005 The Associated Press


Post a Comment

<< Home